Monday, May 17, 2010

Mama Bear

Every wilderness expert knows the danger of getting between a mother bear and her cubs. Mother bears are fiercely devoted to their little ones and will tear apart anything that threatens their babies. And I've got to tell you, I'm not so sure we humans are so different.

This weekend we experienced a very trying time that made me to want to hide my precious little baby Bear away from the world. I won't get into the details, to protect the not-so-innocent, but let's just say it involved undermining my abilities and decisions as a mother, lots of dirty fingers all over my baby's hands and mouth, and insulting of my beautiful boy's appearance.

And, oh, did the mama bear in me rage.

I held my tongue, much, much more than I probably should have, in an effort to be polite and not cause a scene, but it took every ounce of self-control I could muster to not snatch my baby, yell profanity and run out the door with him tight in my arms. It kept me tossing and turning at least half the night, thinking of how much I wanted to hurt anyone that dared to insult him, that dared to criticize anything about my beautiful not-quite-five-months-old angel, that dared to try to make me feel like an inadequate mother.

I won't be tearing any limbs apart soon over this, but we intend to keep our distance from those people who criticize our family. Our family and our son are the most important things to protect in this world. And dang, is that mother bear urge strong!

On a lighter note, I've been trying so hard to upload videos to this site but can't seem to get it figured out. I'm not sure if the videos are maybe too big? They're only about a minute, but the system seems to stall whenever I try. I took some shorter ones this weekend that I'll try to upload tonight. Barrett is very talkative these days!

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! How could anyone insult you or your adorable boy? I give you so much credit for keeping your calm. There are people in this world who say and do such stupid things to mothers that you have to wonder why there aren't more "mother kills idiot backseat-parenter" stories in the news. Power to the mama bear!

    ReplyDelete