Thursday, July 12, 2012


Monday - I made bbq pulled pork in the slow cooker. 
The recipe is:
2 1/2-3 lb pork roast
1 can diet Dr. Pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons dry ground mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
bbq sauce
whole wheat hamburger buns

Night before prep:  I pretty much prepare everything the night before.  I trim the pork, chop the onions, and throw the onions, garlic, and pork seasoned with the ground mustard into the slow cooker and place in the fridge.  The next morning I add the soda, vinegar and worcestershire sauce to the cooker and cook on low all day.  When I get home, I shred the pork with a fork and pour bbq sauce on top (we really like Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet 'n Spicy).  Put onto buns and serve - delicious!  We had this with green beans.  Barrett did not eat this.


Tuesday - The pork makes plenty of meat so there's enough for several meals - score!  Tim had pulled pork sandwiches again but I decided to mix it up and make a salad.  I pulled some greens from the garden, chopped up red pepper, sliced red onion and hard boiled egg and poured bbq chicken on top with some lite ranch dressing.  Barrett ate a hardboiled egg with some ranch dressing on it but refused the bbq pork again.

Wednesday - Linguine with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
photo from linked website
So good.  We used fresh basil from the garden and it was a nice use of the huge bag of pine nuts and huge jar of sundried tomatoes that we bought at Costco a while ago. It did require some day-of prep, with roasting the pine nuts and garlic and slicing the sundried tomatoes.  I probably could have done this the night before to eliminate some of the work to make it. Even B ate this and said "yummy in the tummy."  I made a little extra so have it for lunch on Thursday too - even though we were both eying the extra that night! 

Thursday - Crockpot Rotisserie-Style Chicken.  I had bought a whole chicken a few months ago when it was on super-sale at the grocery store and it's been taking up space in my freezer for far too long.  So I decided to get that bird out of the freezer and into our bellies! 
I did as much prep as I could the night before - preparing the seasoning and cutting the fat and skin off the bird.  I suppose that part isn't necessary but I prefer a skinless bird  and would rather take the time to trim it.  This did take a while and was pretty disgusting. 
Total fail too, in that the bird wasn't completely frozen so I had to thaw it overnight in the fridge to finish thawing the inside and had to clean it out, stuff it with some onion and garlic chunks on Thursday morning.  I hate dealing with dinner in the mornings so I wish I could have avoided this with better planning.  But it'll hopefully be worth it to have dinner ready when we get home tonight.  I'll serve it up with a side of veggies.
photo from www.crockpot365.blogspot.com

 Friday - I am sure we'll have a lot of chicken leftover from Thursday so will be able to make something with this for Friday night's dinner - maybe some pasta with chicken or something.  And then I possibly can make chicken salad for Saturday's lunch as well, if there's still enough left.  

As a sidenote - Sunday I made sweet potatoes in the slow cooker (boy, I could really be an ad for the slow cooker this week apparently!)  I just poked them with a fork and threw them in with a splash of water and cooked on low for about 5 hours, turned up to high for the final hour to finish them off.  We ended up eating them like this and then I pureed the rest for Audrey.  (And believe it or not, she is actually eating them!)  This was my first time making these in the slow cooker and I plan to do it a lot more!  They were delicious and simple.  I haven't used the programmable option on my slow cooker yet but will definitely use it for these. 




No comments:

Post a Comment