Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Potty in my crib, BYOU

Dare I say that it might be time to start pottytraining?  Will we soon be saying goodbye to wipes and diapers (and spending $40/box on size 4 diapers) and hello to little tiny underwear?

Barrett has shown some good enthusiasm over the last month for the potty seat.  He sits on it regularly at daycare and talks about it.  Last week he actually went at school - but then proceeded to freak out when his leg got wet.  So his teacher recommended that we just go ahead and put him in underwear and see what happens.

So this weekend I decided to go for it.

Times peed on the floor:  6.
Times peed in the toilet:  0

We're not off to a great start, as you can see.  But I'm very optimistic.  He got upset and let me know when he had an accident and was able to stop himself.  He was very excited to wear his underwear.  I made up a little song that we sing "No pee-pee in underwear, pee-pee in the potty, pee-pee in the potty!" (and repeat 20 times as enthusiastically as possible, complete with hand motions and smiles.  What has my life come to?)  And he looks awfully cute in his little tiny undies.  He even wanted to wear them for his nap on Sunday, so I let him keep them on and put a diaper over them.  I was dreading pulling them off when he woke up and was shocked to discover that following his 3.5 hour nap that they were still dry. Of course then I started to freak out that that meant maybe he wasn't hydrated enough - the worry of being a mom never stops I guess. 

So we'll see where this goes.  I'm definitely not forcing this issue or turning it into a battle.  I want to keep this a positive experience right now.  Maybe if we're still in this place in another month or two, I'll change my tune, but for now, I am just following his cues and encouraging without forcing and we'll see what happens! 

No comments:

Post a Comment